Many of us are staying close to home for March Break this year and we want to help you make the most of your staycation with our TOP TEN LIST for How to Be a Hometown Tourist.
Whether you’re looking to plan a fun family outing, relax and rejuvenate with a pampering trip to the spa, sign the kids up for an exciting March Break Camp, or get together with friends for dinner and a show, we’ve got you covered with staycation tips, hidden gems, and fun ideas to help you feel like a tourist in your own town – and make some really awesome memories too!
1. Enjoy the Great Outdoors
Winter is the perfect time to immerse yourself in the great outdoors and take advantage of the many opportunities for family adventures and winter sports - all right on our doorstep! Here are just a few great ideas for getting outside and embracing winter:
Island Lake Conservation Area: Winter Activities at Island Lake
- Ice skating
- Ice fishing (rod rentals available)
- Fat Tire Biking (rentals available)
- Cross county skiing
- Snowshoeing (rentals available)
- Maple Syrup in the Park Event- March 17-20, 26 & 27 (reservations required)
Monora Park: Cross Country Skiing
- Daily ski passes and rentals available!
- Tobogganing (at your own risk)
- Westside Secondary School & Murray’s Mountain)
- Ice Skating at one of 6 outdoor rinks
- Tobogganing (at your own risk)
Hockley Valley Resort: Downhill Fun
- Skiing / Snowboarding (rentals available)
2. Eat at a Local Hot Spot
Browse our complete list of Downtown Orangeville restaurants and take advantage of March Break specials from March 11th to March 20th:
3. Love, Orangeville’s History & Vibrant Art Scene
Have you ever wanted to know more about our town’s history and beautiful historic buildings in Downtown Orangeville? Have you ever wondered about the art installations around town? Take the self-guided art and heritage tours, available here.
Make a day of it! Stop to read the historical plaques and signs along the way, pose for a picture with one of our Downtown murals, pop into some of the businesses to see heritage features such as tin ceilings, ornate mouldings and trim work, exposed brick and original flooring.
Caught the history bug? Plan a visit to the Museum of Dufferin.
4. Get a Room!
You don’t have to go far to escape from the everyday. Book a room with a view, enjoy the amenities, be a part of the action or take some time to relax and rejuvenate.
- Best Western Plus Orangeville Inn & Suites
- Hockley Valley Resort
- Millcroft Inn & Spa
- Area airbnbs
- Area VRBOs
5. Visit the Orangeville Winter Market
Explore the Orangeville Winter Market for the best local honey, meat and preserves, handmade and artisan gifts, and so much more!
87 Broadway (inside Town Hall)
6. Book a Class or Workshop
Immerse yourself in a new experience or rediscover an old hobby. Try a yoga class, pick up that guitar again, book a tarot card reading or sign the kids up for a fun week of art camp!
7. Explore our Diverse and One-of-a-Kind Shops
Downtown is full of unique shops that you won’t find anywhere else. Browse our shop directory and take advantage of March Break specials March 11th – 20th.
8. See a Live Show!
When is the last time you experienced the thrill of a live show? Why not attend a concert, author reading or play this March Break?
- Live Theatre at the Opera House - click for showtimes & tickets!
- Downtown Orangeville's Live Music Scene -click for live music venues and upcoming concerts
- Live Local Author Reading at Sproule’s Emporium – Click for authors & times
9. Pamper Yourself
Get a new set of lashes, a relaxing massage, or hairstyle before you head out on the town! Browse our service directory for a full list of beauty salons, massage therapists and aestheticians and take advantage of March Break Specials March 11th – 20th.
10. Indoor Fun
Choose your own adventure with Orangeville’s many options for indoor recreation from hitting some balls at the batting cages to swimming or a trip to the indoor playground!
- A to Z Sports & Batting Cages
- Recess Indoor Playground
- Public Skates, Swimming, and Drop-In Games
- Far Shot Axe Throwing
For more great ideas, stop in at the Visitor Information Centre or go to LoveOrangeville.ca !
Orangeville Visitor Information Centre
200 Lakeview Ct
Thanks for spending your March Break with us!
Tag us in your March Break photos and you win $100 Downtown Dollars!