Jump To Section
Please note that, thanks in part to your helpful feedback, we are shifting our newsletter release day from Friday to Monday.
Spring is in the air and lots of events (yes, real, actual in person events!) are on the horizon and we’re excited to tell you more!
Statutory Holiday Closures Reminder April 15th & April 17th
In accordance with Ontario’s Retail Business Holidays Act, retail stores (with a few exceptions) are NOT permitted to open for business on Good Friday (April 15th ) or Easter Sunday (April 17th).
Saturday and Easter Monday are normal business days.
While the Town's Retail Business Holiday Exemption By-law permits retail businesses to be open on most statutory holidays for the purposes of developing tourism, it does not provide an exemption for Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Christmas and New Year's Day. If you open on these days, you could face a provincial fine.
Businesses exempt from the Holiday Closures by-law include:
Shops under 2,400 square feet and with three or fewer employees where the only goods available for sale on the holiday are in one or more of the following categories:
- tobacco or articles required for the use of tobacco
- flower shops
- gardening centres
- gas stations
Blues & Jazz is Back!
The award-winning festival is back - June 3rd, 4th & 5th!
We will share the full schedule and event map as soon as it becomes available, you can also check out the latest Blues & Jazz Festival news on their website: https://orangevillebluesandjazz.ca/
Here is what we know so far (subject to change):
What roads will be closed?
- Second Street (First Ave to Broadway) will be closed at 7am Friday to 11 pm Sunday
- Broadway (Wellington to First Street) & Mill Street (Broadway to Armstrong/Little York) will be closed at 11 am Friday to 11 pm Sunday
Where is the music?
- Main Stage in Alexandra Park will feature world-class musicians all weekend long, including the Downchild Blues Band on Friday at 9:30 pm
- Local Stars Stage in the Broadway & Second Street intersection will feature talented local artists
- Street-level stages located at various locations along Broadway & Mill Street showcasing mainstage artists and local talent
- Select venues (restaurants etc.) around Town will host a variety of bands
Classic Cars, Motorcycles, & Festival Vendors
- Friday 5pm-9pm: Classic Cars fill Broadway and Mill Street for the Blues Cruise
- Sunday 10am-5pm: Motorcycles fill Broadway and Mill Street for Blues & Bikes
- All weekend Long: Second Street will be home to a wide variety of festival vendors (food trucks and festival-style retail).
How can my business participate?
SHOP THE SIDEWALK SATURDAY, JUNE 4
- Retailers, we encourage you to have merchandise available for sale on the street and sidewalk directly in front of your place of business on Saturday.
- This a great way to maximize your exposure to passersby and to entice people to come inside your store to shop!
- Please note: The streets will be crowded with classic cars and motorcycles on Friday and Sunday, so large outdoor merchandise displays will not be possible. However, small merchandise displays along your building facades are strongly encouraged. We also hope your doors will be propped wide open to welcome visitors!
NO TAX SALE PROMO ALL WEEKEND LONG.
- Offer 13% Sale on select items only OR offer No Tax on everything in your store – it’s your choice!
- Register by May 15th to receive a poster and to be listed as a participating business.
- More details coming soon!
DECORATE YOUR STOREFRONT
- Get in the spirit of the festival by decorating with a Blues & Jazz theme! Attract attention, show your support for the art of Blues and Jazz, and have fun at the same time!
Please contact Julia if you have any questions! firstname.lastname@example.org
Clean Sweep Saturday May 7th
Get those sweeping arms ready!
Need a broom? Please RSVP by Monday April 18th!
This fun, community event is a great photo-op and the perfect day to spruce up your entryway and show some Orangeville pride! Brooms will be provided to everyone who registers by Monday, April 18th. Thank you to the 30 businesses who have registered for this event so far – your participation will make this event a “sweeping” success!
Spring StoryWalk on Broadway
Just in time for Easter weekend, the Orangeville Public Library, in partnership with the BIA, will be launching a new spring-themed StoryWalk along Broadway!
12 storefronts were selected to showcase one page from the children’s book: “Community Garden”, written by local author Carolyn J. Morris. Begin at the library and enjoy reading the story from start to finish as you make your way up and down Broadway, between First & Second Street.
Maps for participating in the StoryWalk will be available to print from our website, or pick up from the library, starting Wednesday this week. Please make sure to share this fun activity with your littlest customers!
Digital Main Street RAISE Grant Program
The Racialized and Indigenous Supports for Entrepreneurs (RAISE) program is a comprehensive grant initiative to support Indigenous, Black, and other racialized entrepreneurs in Ontario to start and scale their business. RAISE will provide access to business development training, culturally responsive support services and access to $10,000 in grant funding.
Click here to learn more about the program and to apply: https://obiaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/RAISE_Program_Outline_FAQs_final.pdf
Call for Artists – Utility Boxes
The Town of Orangeville has issued its annual Call for Artists, offering local artists an opportunity to contribute to the community’s public art collection. Up to three utility box locations will be wrapped in selected artwork. The deadline for responses to the Call for Artists is Thursday, May 19 at 12 p.m. Complete details can be found at https://www.orangeville.ca/call-for-artists/.
Climate Action in Dufferin, the County of Dufferin’s official climate initiative, invites you to celebrate Earth Week, by booking a “Let’s Chat Climate Change” workshop during the week of April 19 – 22 for your Dufferin workplace, organization, or community group. Find out more HERE.
To reserve a free session for your group contact Climate Action in Dufferin at email@example.com or call 519-941-2816 by April 13th.